5 Tips For A Perfect Coffee From Your Espresso Machine, Every Single Time
You wake up in the morning, feeling slightly groggy, and make a bee-line for your Nespresso® machine for a delicious caffeine boost to start your day.
You place your cup beneath the machine, insert your favourite capsule, and then then press the magical brew button. The machine whirls away and your coffee beverage is poured in seconds.
You take your first sip… but it’s not good. Disappointment sets in, why doesn’t it always taste great?!
That’s what you should expect from your Espresso machine after all isn’t it?
It doesn’t have to be this way. Imagine getting a perfectly brewed drink from your machine, fresh, powerful & smooth like the first time you tried it, every single day.
Well, the reason why your drinks aren’t always perfect boils usually down to maintenance and proper usage of your machine.
So we’ve put together our top 5 tips to ensure that when you press that brew button, you get a perfect drink every single time.
Tip 1 :Calibrate the perfect volume for you
The amount of liquid poured by your machine will affect how it tastes, try re-calibrating your machine to pour the right amount of liquid for your taste, not the factory default settings.
How? Just follow these simple steps.
- Place you favourite glass/cup beneath your machine.
- Insert your favourite capsule.
- Press, and hold, the brew button.
- Let go of the brew button when the right amount of liquid has been produced.
- Now every time you press the brew button it will pour your perfect amount of liquid.
- Repeat the process for Lungo (you may want to experiment with different volumes until you find you favourite volume)
Tip 2 :Prime your machine before use
Before you brew your desired drink, prime your Nespresso® machine by simply brewing water through it.
This has several benefits, it will:
– Clean your machine
– Get your machine hot
– Warm your glass/cup
This will make your desired drink taste even better.
Tip 3 :Use fresh, filtered water
Invest in an inexpensive water filter jug and filter your water before using it to make your coffee beverage. This will prevent limescale build-up in your Espresso machine which will give you a better tasting coffee for a longer time.
And don’t keep old water in your machine for too long, refill it at least once per day.
Tip 4 :Descale your machine regularly
You should descale your machine every 1-3 months, or sooner if the flavour starts to taste off or you’re not getting as much heat.
How? Just follow these simple steps
- Purchase descaling sachets (get some here)
- Turn on your machine
- Empty your machine & drip tray
- Place a large container under your outlet
- Pour water, mixed with descaling solution into your machine
- Start descaling mode on your machine (check your product manual for specific instructions for your machine)
- Once the flow is finished, refill the water tank with the used solution
- Let all of the descaling solution pour through the machine again
- Empty and clean out your water tank
- Refill with fresh water, and run through your machine
- Clear out your drip tray
- Disable descaling mode on your machine
Tip 5 :Clean your machine after each use
After each use of your machine you should do the following:
– Remove the spent capsule
– Run water through the flow system
– Empty your drip tray
Doing these three simple steps after every use will ensure that you don’t leave oils, stagnant water and left over grounds in your machine that will negatively affect the taste of your brew.
So those are our top 5 tips for avoiding disappointment with your Espresso machine and ensuring that you get the perfect tasting coffee every single time.
Do you have some tips of your own? Let us know in the comments below.